TenTec

Re: [TenTec] service

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] service
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:42:04 -0700
Ron Notarius wrote:

>To slighltly paraphrase an old cliche, do you want it done right, or do you
>want it done Tuesday?
>
>73

I am fortunate in that having Ten-Tec gear allows me the freedom to
perform my own repairs (when rarely needed). Unfortunately not many hams
do that anymore. So getting our applicances 'serviced' is an inescapable
part of ham life. I already wrote about my devistating expereince with
Icom before. Now...

My close  friend has a Yaesu FT-1000 MP Mark V Field (whatever). It is
somewhere between two and three years old and is on its way back to
Yaesu service for the fourth time. Each repair takes about a month round
trip. Each time they tell him they found the trouble and replace dozens
of parts... each time the malfunction re-occurs. He loved this
transceiver but this 'service' thing has rained on him too much so he is
selling the rig once it is repaired this time. Fact is, having to have
our 'precious' away to service is rarely a good experience. Ten-Tec,
like all companies stay in business by watching expenses.... including
service overhead..... and keeping a manufacturing/service company in
business, in a small nich market like Amateur Radio,  in this country,
for over 30 years is a miracle! Anyone remember Hallicrafters,
Hammarlund, National, RME, Eico, Ameco, Swan, Atlas, EF Johnson, RL
Drake, Collins, Heath?... to mention just a few.

I avoid the sting of equipment failure by having more than one of
anything. This is also why I haven't spent 3k+ on an Orion but instead
have bought and fixed up a number of quality/older Ten-Tec's.... and do
the service myself.

73,

Jerry, KG6TT