TenTec

[Orion] N1MM, microKeyer, Orion and RTTY FSK operation

Subject: [Orion] N1MM, microKeyer, Orion and RTTY FSK operation
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:19:19 -0500
    I had some trouble configuring an Orion radio to work
with a microKeyer (sending FSK), N1MM Logger (including
MMTTY).  With some tips from Joe W4TV, the attached
configuration seems to work fine.

    I used Com1 and Com3, but you can use any combination of
two Com ports as long as you are consistent in configuring
the microKeyer driver, N1MM Logger, and MMTTY.

    I hope others find this helpful.

73,
    -- Eric K3NA

********************
ORION CONFIGURATION:

Menu\Other
    FSK TX data = Mark high.

********************
MICROKEYER CONFIGURATION:

Cables:
    For RTTY:  Tan cable can be disconnected from the Orion
front panel mic connector.

Driver software on computer:
       On Ports tab:
          Control = Com1.  Use the Set button to open the
radio setting dialog.  In this dialog select Radio = "TenTec
Orion"... and leave "Disable router queries" checked.
          FSK = Com3.
          PTT = for RTTY set PTT to Com3 RTS.  Note: MMTTY
operates the PTT line on the same COM port as that used to
send FSK (on the TXD lead).  N1MM Logger will NOT be
manipulating the PTT line for RTTY FSK.
       On Audio tab:
          Select "Follow radio mode".
          Check "Allow custom settings".
          FSK setting = AAA.
       On PTT/FSK tab:
          Serial port PTT = Follow radio mode
          Check "Allow custom settings"
          FSK = PTT2 immediate.
          PA PTT = unchecked in my case (for Acom, which
uses the amp keying loop from the Orion).
          Invert FSK = unchecked for Orion.
          When foot switch is pressed: uncheck "mute serial
FSK" (default)

    Before starting up N1MM Logger, make sure the Orion
frequencies are being displayed on the microKeyer driver
Ports tab.  Put the Orion into FSK mode.  Use the PTT's
"Test" button to verify the PTT function turns the Orion
transmitter on.  While the transmitter is on, use the FSK
"Test" button to send a few characters over the air.  You
should hear FSK modulation in the monitor function of the
Orion in your headphones.

    When all checks out, save as a preset driver
configuration for future use.

********************
N1MM LOGGER:

Menu:  Config\Configure ports...  (aka "The Configurer")

    Hardware tab:
       Click SO2V if a single-radio operating position.
       Com1:  Radio = TT Orion.  Uncheck "Other" box
(default).  Click the Set button and configure as follows:
          Speed = 56000
          Parity = N
          DataBits = 8
          StopBits = 2
          DTR = handshake
          RTS = handshake
             [Note: Always use handshake for the Orion
radio.  For CW/SSB, put the PTT signal on a different Com
port to the microKeyer driver; e.g., Com2 in my configuration.]
          Radio/VFO = 1 (causes MM to control both VFOs) for
single-radio operating positions.
          Radio PTT via command = unchecked (default)
          Allow ext interrupts = unchecked (default)
       All others com ports:  Radio = none.  Digital,
packet, and other are unchecked.
       LPT ports: Other is unchecked.

    Digital modes tab:
       Digital Interface 1 column:
          TU type = MMTTY/PSK
       DI-1 MMTTY Mode = FSK.
       DI-1 MMTTY Path = C:\Program Files\MMTTY\MMTTY.exe

Now open the Digital Interface window with the menu command
Window\Digital interface.
    The window that displays received RTTY text has a title
such as "14081.97 DI1 RTTY Mode - MMTTY/PSK".
    Use the menu command Setup\Setup MMTTY and configure as
follows:
    On the TX tab:
       PTT Port = Com3.  (This is for both PTT signals and
FSK signals).
       Invert logic = unchecked.
    On the Misc tab:
       TX Port = "Com-TXD (FSK)"  Click the USB Port button
and choose option "C Limiting speed".
    NOTE:  Must close the Digital Interface windows and
re-open them for changes to take effect!!

    You should be able to transmit properly now.

    Levels for the audio being received can be adjusted by
the "computer" knob on the microKeyer and the volume control
in the computer (accessible from the microKeyer driver Audio
page, as I recall).  Make sure N1MM Configurer is looking in
the right place for the audio from the radio.

..end..