TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 2054 HeadPhone muting and Speech processing notes.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2054 HeadPhone muting and Speech processing notes.
From: John Buck <kh7t@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:08:06 -1000
With my Orion 2.054 upgrade, the headphone audio can be reliably killed
by the following procedure.
Place the sub receiver in AM mode.
Make sure T and R are on the main vfo, any frequency, any mode.
Touch the TX  Key or PTT.
The headphone audio does not come back until you either cycle power or
else reset the sub receiver to some mode other than AM and touch TX
again.  The speaker is unaffected.

This is not an RF problem.  Low power, Dummy Load, TX on SSB without
speaking, all the same.

I believe the problem never shows up if you do not put the Sub receiver
into AM mode.

The problem also does not show up if you reverse the process, that is
main receiver AM and sub not AM.
I have reported to Ditsnbits.

I have no desire to go back to 1.372.  I like the "new" NR, AN and sweep.

Comment about the Speech processor.

Start with 1.
5 was way too high on my Orion with 1.372.
The effect of speech processing is always to increase the average level
relative to the peaks.  Many people believe that if a little processing
is good a lot should be better.
The sure sign of too much processing is when the background noise
between words rises to the level of the speech signal.  Intelligibility
of the signal is drastically reduced.

With 2.054, I find that SP set to 1 or 2 is plenty.  At 3 and up the
computer fan under the desk dominates.

Aloha,
John KH7T

From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of R. Brent Zook

Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2054

Was playing with the new beta release last night and noticed that, on cw and
wearing headphones, after pressing the cw key the receiver does not come
back on.  I get no further receive audio.  I can still hear it through the
speakers, but not headphones.

The only way I have found to recover is to turn the rig off and back on.
This is the same on the Heil and cheapie phones.  Had to reload the old
1.372 to get the headphones back for cw work.

The system as a whole is more responsive with 2.054, but audio seems to be
messed up, and there are still some glitches.  I'll wait for another
revision.  --Brent N9HZ