TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Smoking

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Smoking
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:04:25 -1000
Hi Ed,

There are probably many factors which determine the effects of smoking
on a piece of electronic equipment. Some smokers have a cigarette in
their hand at all times, including while they are manipulating the
controls on the rig. Other smokers may keep their butts and ashtrays far
from the rig and have good ventilation in the room while they are
smoking. Temperature, humidity and the air flow around the rig all would
likely make a difference too. It is conceivable that a tobacco tar
coating might inhibit corrosion on some materials in some environments.
Still I think that most non-smokers prefer a rig that hasn't been
"treated" that way.

I have a Hammarlund Super-Pro BC-1004 which I thought had tobacco tar
stains on it. I started to clean it off, and soon realized that what I
was cleaning off was "MFP". Moisture Fungus Proofing. Fortunately I
didn't remove much and the MFP treating done in 1945 is still keeping
the radio in top shape.

DE N6KB