TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Low output on Centruion after lightning

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low output on Centruion after lightning
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:45:54 -1000
Hi Jim,

The fact that the amplifier still works at all suggests that the
amplifier did not get zapped bad enough to kill a tube. I would first
suspect something more sensitive such as a semiconductor in the bias
control circuitry has been damaged. Yes maybe a tube has been damaged,
however before putting in new ones I would be sure that the bias control
circuitry is functioning properly. You don't want to ruin a brand new
tube, and without the right bias you could do just that. How do the grid
and plate currents at zero drive power and full drive power compare to
what they were when the amplifier worked correctly? What about the
exciter? Is it still putting out full power? How about interconnecting
coax cables? Are you sure one of them has not partially failed? Or even
your power indicating device (external RF watt meter or built-in power
indicating function on the amplifier multimeter?) Maybe the amp is still
putting out full power and your watt meter is not reading correctly
after the lightning strike. More details should be ascertained before
dollars expended on new tubes.

DE N6KB