TenTec

[TenTec] Great new fun with myPegasus!!!

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Great new fun with myPegasus!!!
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:51:33 -0400
I just had the coolest QSO!  It was a 15-minute PSK31 exchange with a
young fella in Wisconsin.

So what?  Well, I'm at my office and my radio is ten miles away at
home.  I realize this isn't earth-shattering technology, but it was
great fun for me the first time.  Y'see, I linked my office computer
with my home computer (and thus my Pegasus) with "Log Me In" remote
control software via the Internet.  "Log Me In" (www.logmein.com) works
just like "Go To My PC" software with one essential difference -- it's
freeware!

Before investing in payware such as "Go To My PC" I decided to use the
"Log Me In" program to see if the remote control scheme would work.  As
it happens, it does -- perfectly.

Now I can play radio during my lunch and coffee breaks.  Since,
according to financial advisors, I won't be able to retire until I'm
about 106, this is good news.  (Of course, if I spend too much time in
QSO here at the office, I'll be retiring early -- ready or not).

As for our buddy with the incorrigible Corsair -- I had a similar
situation with a less-than-promised Corsair I recently.  I sent it to
Ten Tec.  Two weeks and a couple of hundred dollars later, I got back a
good-as-new (performance-wise, anyway) radio that I'm very fond of.
Even with the added cost of repairs, it still cost a lot less than a new
radio of equal performance.  Now, two hundred dollars sounds like a lot
for the repair, but the guys in Sevierville rebuilt the PTO, found two
burnt circuit board traces and the faulty components that caused them
and did a bit of rewiring to correct the previous owner's "upgrade" that
nearly killed the radio.  Plus -- the Corsair came back fully
realigned.  I consider it a decent investment.

73,

Craig
W3CRR