TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion I and II on Ebay

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion I and II on Ebay
From: "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 21:35:01 -0500

Barry Gross wrote:

>  FWIW, there aren't many rules on this reflector, but here's one of
>  'em: "no auctions are to be conducted, discussed, facilitated or
>  referred to in any way. Violators of this policy will be subject to
>  moderation without notice. To be clear, this pertains especially to
>  eBay."

I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sure I understand this anti- eBay stance.

If it's OK for someone to say they bought or sold an item at such and so
ham swap or that they will have an item for sale at a particular
upcoming ham swap, why is that any different than saying the same thing
about an item on eBay? After all, isn't eBay just another ham swap,
albeit one that runs 24/7?

I personally think eBay is the best thing since sliced bread. I enjoy
going to local ham swaps and having coffee with my buddies, but for
serious shopping or finding an obscure item that is unlikely to be found
locally or having the choice of several of those items, I think it's
really neat that somebody can be at home, in their jammies and bunny
slippers at 2 in the morning, find what they are looking for and have it
delivered right to their front door.

Furthermore, eBay is almost iconic, part of the fabric of modern life
with millions of items for sale. Why put your head in the sand and
pretend it doesn't exist?