TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Paragon problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon problem
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 19:44:02 -1000
> The number keypad will not do anything. The filters (all are installed) is
> stuck on 2.4.
On my Paragon the filter selection keys are blue. Mine is a Paragon II
though. If all my blue keys worked, it would not be stuck on 2.4 kHz.
> The mode is stuck on LSB. RX offset does not work, but TX offset does. All
> the "blue" keys work. All the knobs function. The VFO works, and the RX seems
> to be fine and the TX works, too. I tried the reset button on the right side
> to no avail and made sure I had not done a global lock. Of all the black
> buttons around the VFO knob, only the "fast" button works. Any ideas??

Look at the schematics and see what is common to most of the keys that
do not work. I suspect that a bunch of the keys are connected in a
matrix, like in the Paragon II, where 44 keys are in a 4 X 11 matrix.
That way it only requires 15 wires from the board the keys are on to the
logic or other board that they connect to, instead of 45 wires. And
there are other keys which are not really part of a matrix and have
individual leads to each key. The keys in the matrix are probably stuck
and the non-matrixed keys still work. If that is the case, then you have
to find out what is the fault in the matrixed keys, something like a
stuck key locking up the whole matrix scanning scheme, or a bad chip.

I'll bet if you just get inside an clean and exercise connectors the
problem will go away.

DE N6KB