TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Firmware update

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Firmware update
From: "Edward A. Feustel" <efeustel@hughes.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:32:49 -0400
Bill Ogden wrote:
> It has been a while since I updated my Orion I.  I am now installing the 062a
> level. I seem to remember that the update process stepped through about 9000
> data lines fairly rapidly the last time I did this.
> The current update is moving very slowly. It stayed on lines 680, 710, and
> 720 for several minutes each. (I may not have remembered the line numbers
> correctly.) The Orion display says "Program Flash 668" when the PC display is
> much past this number.  Also, the Orion display says "CC=000" (I assume this
> is Condition Code 0, usually a good sign for a computer program).
>
> Is this update proceeding normally?
>
> Bill - W2WO

Bill,
When you turn on the system, you must hold down the User 2 button while
flipping the on switch.  Wait till the Update ROM
screen comes up, then run the executable.

Never having updated before, I was trying it yesterday.  It took over 24
hours to get to line 6000. Then Gary Barbour at
Ten Tec gave me the clue about User 2.  I could not find it anywhere on
RF Squared or in my version of the manual.
After I did it the correct way, it took about 3 minutes.

I still could not get the Verification to work, but I seem to remember
that it does not work as expected.
Ed, N5EI