TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Is Orion really worth it? Given thepublishedproblems?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Fwd: Is Orion really worth it? Given thepublishedproblems?
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 07:52:31 EDT
Key Clicks?  I was running the Orion at 50 watts putting out 700 watts  from
an amplifier capable of 1300 so I doubt the clicks were a drive  issue.  There
has been thread on this topic here before and the clicks are  real.  The good
news is you can adjust the rise time but there was also a  discussion of how
the rise time settings were neither accurate nor linear making  such
adjustments guesswork.

As for what the ALC controls (amp or exciter), I guess it is a
chicken-and-the-egg thing.  IF there was an ALC loop back to the exciter  then
the ALC
would control the exciter but since the drive determines the ALC  level, I
suppose
you could say the exciter controls.  Who cares?   There is no ALC interface
on the Orion and that is a substantial problem with  amplifiers that do make
good use of ALC.  For example, the QUADRA uses  the ALC circuit to
automatically
reduce power output for tuning

k4ia
Craig  "Buck" Enjoying his Orion in