TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Repaired and Back to V1.373b5
From: Martin Ewing - AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:12:01 -0500

> One thing TT could do to make the situation better is to license the
> code to third party developers, or better yet, make it available to all
> under some open source license.
>
> Mark

It may go against ham culture, but I suggested (long ago) that TT should
sell a support contract for Orion firmware (and maybe hardware).  That
would help keep the development wheels turning.  To me, it would be
worth $100 a year to get real progress. Of course, there would be
problems running such a program - how do you prevent freeloading, etc.

An open source (community-based) support process would be even better,
but that does not seem to be part of the TT philosophy.  Some of their
competitors are doing better on this.

73 Martin AA6E