TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Argosy II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy II
From: Joe Malloy <jmalloy@stny.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:12:21 -0500
Bill Mellema wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I am new to the Ten Tech reflector after acquiring a nice but much modified
> Argosy II  Serial Number 2004. My unit has a very sloppy RF gain
> modification. Is the modification (added RF pot and pulled a resistor off
> the AF/IF board) worth cleaning up or just rewire it as it came from the
> plant?
>
> I would appreciate anyone's insight  and comments on this and other mods
> for that great little rig.
>
> Thanks in advance...Happy New Year To All!
>
> 73's
>
> Bill N3WM

I've got an Argosy too and they're great little rigs.  I've modified
mine with an "RF" gain pot which works reasonably well -- for if the
Argosy has a weak point (and it's has a few!) it's that it overloads
really well with strong signals and the AGC circuit can't keep up with
such signals.  The evidence is that loud "popping" noise you hear with
good, strong signals.  So I'd recommend that you keep the modification
as-is (assuming it works).  That and other mods for the Argosy and
Argosy II can be found at  http://www.qsl.net/tentec/mods/525mods.htm .
You might find it interesting from a fellow who has modified his Argosy
to be a real performer!

73,

Joe, W2RBA