TenTec

[TenTec] Home brew RF power attenuators

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Home brew RF power attenuators
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:48:32 -1000
I also built an attenuator from 2 watt carbon composition resistors. My
application was a Kenwood TS-440 driving a SGC SG-500 amplifier. The ALC
circuitry in the TS-440 made the keying envelope funny at anything much
below 90 watts output. The SG-500 only wanted 50 or 60 watts drive, and
anything higher would kick in the built in input attenuator, which would
no doubt also make for a weird CW envelope. The attenuator I made would
also only handle about 25 watts continuous, so I built it in a one quart
paint can and filled it with mineral oil. A sort of "cantenuator".

There are web sites with attenuator calculators, wherein you enter
impedance, dB loss and whether you want a pi or tee configuration. I
have generally found tees easier to get the right resistor values. That
may not be the case for all attenuation values though.

Bob, where do you get your two watt carbon composition resistors?

DE N6KB