TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 shelved for 10 years
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:45:19 -0500

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:04:46 -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>
> >I am reluctant to use the physically smaller Nichicon capacitors
> >because I believe them to be rated for a much smaller ripple current
> >and I fear they will overheat in the transmitter power supply.
>
> YES!  This is an often overlooked specification of capacitors.
>
> Jim K9YC

Thanks to some excellent suggestions and great help from Joe/N5KAT I
did a lot of looking into ultra low ESR capacitors and in my
searching came up with some excellent sites relating to the same.
Here are a few links that help one to understand electrolytics better
than most texts would give;

http://www.edc.sanyo.com/english/pdf/oscon/E_oscon_basic.pdf
and
http://www.edc.sanyo.com/english/pdf/oscon/E_oscon_appli.pdf

Here's Sanyo's varieties of caps:
http://www.edc.sanyo.com/english/products/capacitor/index.html

Here's Sanyos' Oscon line or ultra low ESR caps. You'll have to
search through the pdf files to find the ones that you're interested
in & the voltage, size & ripple factors are listed for each cap &
you'll see these new ultra low ESR electrolytics are like the old
school caps on massive steroids:

http://www.edc.sanyo.com/english/products/capacitor/alm/download.html

This is just the Sanyo brand information. There's others such as
Rubycon & NIC that make Ultra low ESR caps to investigate.

Gary
KA1J