TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Looking for a rig upgrade...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for a rig upgrade...
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 11:15:43 -0400
Lou -

All the radios you listed would be very nice mid grade transceivers.

Here's my reaction based on my experience with Ten Tecs.

> My key requirements are
>
> 1)  PC interface for logging
Omni VI (option 1-3 and plus) has only basic computer interface, but
does logging fine.  Pegasus, Jupiter, Orion, Omni, all have an extensive
interface.

> 2) Quality... I don't want to keep woking on the radio or having it repaired
Any radio can have problems.  But, if needed, ease of service is
important.  I have been very pleased with Ten Tec service in terms of
price, quality and turn-around time.

> 3) Receive quality.... doen't have to have the best receiver, but don't wnat
> to get tired of listening to it.
Jupiter and Pegasus are a step below the other Ten Tecs, but easy to
listen to.  Don't rely on a chart like the Sherwood chart.  It's just
one piece of information.  I have a non-Ten Tec radio that scores very,
very high on the chart.  But, has somewhat hissy audio and is tiring to
listen to.  If you just do PSK with audio off, never mind.

> 4) Stand up to some contesting.  I am not a hard core contester, but I have
> operating during a few contests and enjoyed it.
All will do well with "some" contesting.  Competitive contesting needs
Omni VI, Omni VII, or Orion.

My advice is to get a used radio from the Ten Tec factory.  It has a 10
day trial, 30 day warranty, and 30 day full upgrade allowance.  They
bend over backward to help make sure you are satisfied.

You would be happy with a Jupiter.  An Omni VI upgrade would satisfy you
for a long time.  Orion requires a lot of investment in time to learn to
use the radio correctly.

73 de K1ESE
John