TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Need more help on RIT/XIT

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need more help on RIT/XIT
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:55:40 -0400
John -

I turned on the radio in the shack and the RIT was not working.  I took
the radio to the workbench (OK, kitchen table).

I removed the top and bottom covers and removed the screws that hold the
front panel.

Holding the front panel in one hand, I turned the radio on.  The RIT was
working.

I on the front panel end of the B ribbon, touched the ribbon with a
finger, lightly.  The RIT stopped working.

I pressed on the on the B ribbon and the RIT began working again.

I shut off the radio.  I removed the B ribbon completely at both ends.
I re-inserted the cable at both ends and applied power.  The RIT was
working.  (I did also notice that the A ribbon on the radio end was not
fully seated and pressed that home.  I doubt that had any effect, but
full disclosure.)

I reattached the front panel and applied power.  The RIT was working.

I reattached the covers and applied power.  The RIT was working.

I returned the Orion to the shack.  The RIT is working.

It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.  It does explain how
all of the other RIT solutions (re-solder, clean contacts, replace
encoder) would work, as all required disturbing the B cable.  It would
also explain why a non-working radio RIT sent to Ten Tec would work at
Ten Tec if the techs started by opening up the radio.

That B cable looked fairly standard and a better quality cable should be
available, if not from Ten Tec, then from another source.

My experiment is just one data point.  It would be interesting to check
on the reflector to see how many others have had the RIT problem and if
this works for them.

Congratulations may be in order if you have found the source of this
long-running mystery.

73 de K1ESE
John