TenTec

Re: [TenTec] This and That!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] This and That!
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:10:22 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/2006 12:10:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
toby423@earthlink.net writes:

I live  really close to the Ten Tec factory and have made numerous visits
over the  past several years,   and consider some of the employees as my
friends.  I have always enjoyed visiting and talking with the different
personel at
the plant.

I was talking with my friend Jerry today, and we figured out some
interesting points between us.

one of our  problems is that we are spoiled by TT 's ability to keep  our 20
and 30 year radios running as new. Got a problem, send your corsair II in  for
a repair and a tune up and its back in a week or two and fixed and
relatively inexpensively fixed and quickly.

Call TT and say I need a knob for this and a plug for that, and a   switch
for this and in a week or so, its there.

so we expect the same response with the problem of the day with the Orion
series. Soft ware fixes are different, and we know this. when is the last time
you called Ten Tec with a radio problem that was not handled promptly, its
always "taken care of".

now with software problems, we expect the exact same response, and it ain't
gonna happen. so blame TT for being too good and causing us to expect the
repair  of the soft ware to take 3 weeks and fixed.  They are doing fine and I
just  fixed a "soft ware related problem " by attaching the broken ground in my
Heil  mic cable.  but it had the same symptoms as the other soft ware problems,
 and wasn't. ( actually Jerry fixed it, I held the light)

so I was complaining about a problem that was not soft ware related, My  Bad.
but I heard the same exact problem with several others here on the  reflector
saying the cause was software, and it really was a broke wire.  oops

I think that Ten Tec is doing fine, they are trying to support us in the
best way possible, we complained about "when is Ver 2 coming out" on the
software, and they released it as a beta version, then we complain "they should
 have
held it till it was fixed" so they can't win either way.

I will take a wild guess that there are in the neighborhood of 3000 to 4000
orions out there by now, and we have the same 7 or 8 guys  with problems
here, and then of course the 3 or 4  guys that don't own an Orion, but
complain
about them any how. And the SDR 1000 comparison is futile, its a  different
animal, and no one ever mentions the inherent problem with latency in  the SDR
radio, ( that is where the first dit you send  comes out 1/2 second  delayed
due
to the linear processing in the radio. ) you will always have a  latency
problem in a SDR because of the nature of the beast.

so I really like my Orion, it does all I ask it to, and more.

thanks Ten Tec.. good job

tom N6AJR