TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 19:36:18 -0500
> While the K3 has some "features" advantages over the Orion family, the
> MAJOR advantages of the K3 are its far superior RX strong signal
> performance and much less TX sideband trash. That allows high power
> stations to co-exist much closer to each other. My neighbor W6DRX is
> about 0.3 miles from me. N6RZ is about two miles, K6XX about 5 miles.
> W6DRX and I both bought K3s solely because of our proximity! In the
> recent SS, we were both able to run high power on the same band
> without killing each other. K6XX runs K3s. We can work within 500 Hz
> of each other on CW. There are many situations like mine in the Bay
> Area.

I don't have any top end rigs but I do have a Omni V v.9 and my
father who lives in the same house is on 80M with a KW amp every
night. I just moved my vertical antenna to a salt marsh beside us and
he has an inverted V on top of the house. There is about 300' between
antennas. He uses his linear for his net and I chase 80M DX with a
Titan 425.

Neither of us ever bother each other & I can't tell if he's on unless
I go to his frequency and intentionally look for him.

I know the K3 and Orion are very good regarding strong signals but
the OmniV is also extremely good. I can't imagine how much better
rejection there could be that is better than this Omni V. There's all
this talk about how good the front ends are but this old TenTec is
just fine for me.

Gary
KA1J