TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:24:02 -0400
Thanks for the replies.

I have a slew of new ultra low ESR electrolytics and I feel more than
safe in exchanging the old ones with this newer technology and the
quality of these are mighty close to SMT caps. If I keep the pF & V
values the same I won't throw off any timing in the circuits.

I have noticed the "buzz" on several different power supplies
including a deep cycle battery. It's definitely not a hum but sounds
like something with odd harmonics, a definite buzz.

 In fact, I was listening for key clicks using the Corsair with 6" of
wire stuck in its 239 while transmitting with a different rig and the
corsair was powered by a deep cycle battery, the other rig by an
analog Astron VS-35M and the Corsair & battery were in the middle of
the floor, 4' from anything else electronic and I heard it in the
headphones clearly.

Indeed the buzz is dependent on volume; no volume, no buzz.

I'd forgotten about the buzz, not using the Corsair for awhile now
till I used it to listen for those clicks.

Gary
KA1J