TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz

To: Gary@doctorgary.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II buzz
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:42:30 -0700
Gary Smith wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> While truly the idea of three phase noise generation and equipment is
> reading which I enjoy following, I gotta reiterate that I most
> recently heard this when running off a deep cycle battery and no
> antenna (a 6" piece of wire was inserted in the 239 connector for a
> minimal antenna) or other wires attached.

Gary,

Do you have access to any form of audio FFT?  I'm thinking of software
that could run on your laptop using the sound card. Laptop is important,
because it can run on battery and independent of the AC line. This might
yield some clues as to the nature and source of the buzz.

Note that by talking about the power-related stuff here, I was trying to
help you eliminate it as a source of the problem before you tear into
the radio looking for something more complex.  Another point. The
power-related buzz is IR drop from current flowing on the ground wiring,
and the source of that current is the power system. You could, for
example, be running on battery but have connection to ground at two
points and your radio could be seeing that voltage. The Ten Tec Omni V
has  multiple "pin 1 problems," so a connector at one of them going to
some ground, combined with a ground to the chassis, could be injecting
that power-related buzz. Consider this when you're running off of
battery for testing. That is, for this test, NOTHING but the battery
connected to the radio (except headphones to listen to it). Definitely
not a ground, and nothing plugged into any of the connectors on the back.

73,

Jim K9YC