TenTec

[TenTec] Orion II, RX Antennas and use of AGC/RF Gain....

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II, RX Antennas and use of AGC/RF Gain....
From: "B. Denison" <brad.denison@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:58:06 -0400
So I have about 8 different antennas I use for 160m and 80m. My typical
behavior is to pick the best antenna for the conditions, etc. I am wondering
how folks balance the adjustment of RF gain or AGC threshold given that
different antennas can have different levels of noise, gain, etc ( which
would
seem to need different AGC thresholds or RF gain settings to manage the
noise
levels)? To sum up my dilemma, I don't like fiddling with controls during a
contest and am wondering how people handle this type of scenario given that
different RX antennas can produce different levels of noise?

One thing for sure, my FT-1000D seems a lot easier for me to handle in
this type
of scenario. I have yet to use my OII in a contest for this reason and
for the
fact that I have to tweak RF gain or AGC threshold to manage noise when
switching from band to band.

I guess the same question is applicable for those who may switch from a
vertical
to a dipole of a vertical to a beam - all generating different needs on
RF gain
AGC. This seems like a pain in the butt balancing act. Maybe I am missing
something? I'd like to make the jump permanently to the OII but am stuck
on the
ease of use of the 1000D for my contesting. Any thoughts? Someone else must
have been through this....

Thanks,

Brad