TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Want to buy

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>, Rick Dougherty NQ4I <nq4i@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Want to buy
From: Mark <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 14:41:21 +0200
Rick Dougherty NQ4I wrote:
> Hi All..I am looking for a TenTec Orion 565...no A/T...with cw and ssb
> roofing filters...lets talk de Rick NQ4I

Hello Rick,

Perhaps 'kicking in a door' here but please allow me to add some tips:

Hardware tips:
- get the 600Hz inrad filter (order number #762) for CW. Forget about
the TT 300 and 500Hz filter, or read Bill's website W4ZVfor that matter.
- customize the DC12V connection cable with heavier gauge cable
- do not use a switched psu, but any old fashion analogue psu
- set the supply voltage to min. 13.8-14.2 V
- installing official firmware 1.372  or the praised beta 1.373b5 is the
way to go.

User tips, based on contesting at our clubstation PI4TUE:
- keep RF-gain below 85. Operators tend to turn it at max (learnings
from decades of using japanese rigs)
- ideally add enough att to keep the S-meter on max S3 band noise level
- better keep the volume pot at fixed level (75%) and use RF gain to
adjust the listening level down, determing on provided input HF level
- RF gain and BW button are the only two to use in a contest
- push the 'Audio' button and set Left-Main, Right-Both. This wil put
the audio from main receiver on both ears and the sub-audio on the right
ear only. At a single push on the sub-af volume pot knob you switch
in/out the sub receiver audio, while the audio of the main receiver
remains constant on both ears. Very convenient  and not distracting for
monitoring a different frequency(or band) on the second receiver.
- use David Clark headphones, model 10S/DC  (stereophonic full range
version). They fit better, offer much better noise reduction and less
listening fatigue.

Orion redefines operating a rig and is customised for dxíng and
contesting. Many thanks to TT; they have created a great rig.
I have sold 2 FT1000MP's (loaded) and saved money for a year to be able
to buy an Orion here in Europe.
Never ever regretted it.
At our clubstation PI4TUE ( 6 different ops)we have compared our old
TS950SDX against FT1000MP's(loaded) and recently a K3 during major
contests these last 3 years.
Finally they decided to buy an Orion which is now in use since early
january 2009.

CU in contest
73 Mark, PA5MW
http://pa5mw.blogspot.com