TenTec

Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur/ Centurion/Orion relays

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [TEN TEC] Centaur/ Centurion/Orion relays
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:26:08 -0700
pfizenmayer wrote:
> There is apparently a LARGE difference in relays and mountings - My
> Centurion is quieter than the relay in my Orion II.

Yes. I use Jennings or their Gigavac equivalents in my Titans and Herc
II, and they're reasonably quiet. I always work with headphones, and I
don't hear them, although I've done nothing special to prevent it.

I DO hear the Titan fans, and have the RF deck sitting on some acoustic
material to decouple it from the desk. That helps a lot.

It may also help to CLEAN the squirrel-cage fan occasionally (and it
certainly improves ventilation). That's easy to do with Q-tips,
accessing it from the air intake after the top cover is removed.

73,

Jim K9YC