TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Heat in Ten-Tec transceivers

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heat in Ten-Tec transceivers
From: Ben Hall <kd5byb@kd5byb.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:18:48 -0500
Hey fellas,

I run a LOT of digital on my Paragon.  Usually never more than 20 to 40
watts out, but have "given it the full beans" up to about 80 watts to
get some rare DX.  (I kept my transmission length down when at that
power level - 15 to 20 seconds max)

I have the optional heat-sink fan.  It gets warm, but never hot.  I'm a
fan of the heat-sink Ten-Tec fan!  ;)

Now the 960 power supply DOES get quite warm.  What is odd is that the
heatsink doesn't get hot - it gets warm - but that the whole case gets
quite warm.  If I'm running high-duty cycle, I point a small muffin fan
at the sides of the case and it stays cool.

thanks much,
ben

Ben Hall, kd5byb@kd5byb.net - ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, NEVER OUTGUNNED.