TenTec

Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:58:07 -0800
Interesting, Rick!

Yes, one of the things about the R-4 manual was a section on realigning
the receiver.

I was an Air Traffic Control Radar Technician with the Air Force from
1970-78.
At the time I had access to all of the best test equipment available, so
it was easy to keep things running well.
I built a Heathkit signal generator, VTVM, transistor checker and
numerous other kits and pieces of test gear.
Today, all I have is a VOM, digital multimeter and antenna analyzer.
One of my worries about the vintage Drake gear is keeping it going.

I missed the boat on getting some Collins equipment free or at little
cost when the MARS station at March AFB closed.
Someone also told me that the Red Cross office nearby had some Collins
gear that they were getting rid of.  I should have listened.
Or not.  I'd be in the same boat, maintenance-wise, only worse.
Rob Sherwood rates the noise floor of the R-4C with Sherwood mods within
3 db of a 75-S3B at -138 dbm

I also have the T-T 405 amp that I bought at the swapmeet at Ft. Tuthill
about 10 years ago.

73 de Jim - AD6CW