TenTec

Re: [TenTec] TITAN 425 PS maintenance

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TITAN 425 PS maintenance
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:04:14 -0800
On 12/3/2010 12:37 PM, CSM(r) Gary Huber wrote:
> But I was trying to find out if anyone had used the WD7S HV-2 board
> for the 3CX800A7s..... the HV-2 board has been used to provide higher
> voltages for surplus 3CPX800A7s in the TITAN 425.

One thing you would need to consider is what other high voltage
capacitors are in the RF deck that might need to be replaced with parts
rated for higher voltage.

As I understand it, the main reason for using higher voltage with 3CPX
tubes is that you can achieve legal power with less plate current. I
don't know if there would be reduced drive requirement, or less grid
current. Since the primary failure mechanism in these tubes is excessive
grid current, that's what I would pay the most attention to.

Also, I don't know what's in this board, but to get higher voltage, you
would probably have to replace the power transformer as well.

The only condition under which I would look at this board as a
replacement is if most of the power supply went up in smoke. :)

73, Jim K9YC