TenTec

Re: [TenTec] 6M transverter with OMNI 6?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 6M transverter with OMNI 6?
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:17:55 -0600
I had one of the 1208 transverters for a number of years.  I used it
with my Argonaut II.  I don't know what its actual noise figure was.  It
worked very well.  Running barefoot to a 4 element Hy-Gain beam up about
60 feet, I managed to work all continents with it barefoot during the
last F2 cycle.  I made contacts with it on Es, meteors, and even some on
aurora.  I thought it worked very well, though it is limited to 5 watts
of drive.  I gave mine to a friend to get him on 6 meters, and he has
had quite a bit of fun with it, too.  It seems as though the more active
contesters turn up their noses at anything other than Down East
Microwave, SSB Electronics, or other premium equipment, but my
experience is that these little transverters do a great job.

Steve WA9JML