TenTec

Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec 1254 ---THANKS
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:15:24 -0500
Alan:

No, I don't have any processor problems. I was referring to the mod kit
available here:  http://www.cholakian.com/TT1254upgrade.html, although I
don't find the coarse tuning steps of the 1254 that much of a burden.

There are a number of popular portable general coverage transceivers on
the market, most notably the Yaesu FT-857, and 897 and the ICOM 703 and
706, and the IC-7200.  The QRP FT-817, while cute, and a lot of guys
like them, in my opinion it does not run enough power for reliable
communication under poor band conditions (a frequent occurrence, given
the lack of sunspots. Most of these radios are not well suited to
battery operation, because their typical current drain on receive is
about 1.5 amps. Older Ten-Tec radios do much better in the battery drain
area. A possible exception is the Yaesu VX-1210, which is a commercial
20 watt manpack radio, currently favored by the "HF pack" crowd.

I have an original  Paragon as the main radio, but I use a Scout for
portable vacation use. I use it with a reel-out dipole and it works
great.  I've looked at other portable rigs, but after reading a lot of
reviews and user comments, I always decide to stick with the Scout.

The 1254 will certainly meet your needs if you mate it up with a simple
CW transmitter.  Yes, the political and economic situation is spooky. I
keep a 72 hour kit and maintain all the radios, especially HF. Here in
NJ, there isn't much else that I can do. "Bugging out" is not really an
option.

                     73,
                     Bob WB2VUF