TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 13:41:07 -0600
Miniature electrolytics are ripe for replacement due to old age. Go for
low ESR high temperature rated for the best performance and long life.
Don't forget those on the display board. I doubt Tentec would consider
shotgun replacement of electrolytics to be practical at their costs of
labor.

As for alignment, if it hears antenna noise louder than its noise on all
bands and puts out rated power everywhere, I don't think it needs
alignment. I've never found alignment a better procedure than proper
signal tracing for troubleshooting and problems. Indeed alignment can
introduce more problems from adjusting parts that didn't need adjusting
but were frozen with age. Split cores come to mind, NEVER use a metal
allen wrench on a core of a coil. It gets a thousand times harder to
turn after its split by the metal wrench. Use only plastic alignment
tools that fit the cores. Alignment was needed more in tube radios where
tube replacement was commonly required and the tube capacitances were a
significant portion of the resonann circuit tuning C. Then a different
tube with 1 pf different C required alignment. We aren't swapping
transistors that much, though when a transistor is replaced and its
connected to tuned circuits, alignment of that stage is most appropriate.

73, Jerry, K0CQ