TenTec

Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: John Graves <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:20:56 -0500
  I have had until recently, an R7 that worked almost anywhere I wanted
to try, but if you want to talk 1.4 wave verticals, I would thing you
want to start with Severns article in QST  (In 2000).  Also wasn't there
an earlier article recarding vertical ground systems by Sommers or
Somers?  Anyway, The conclusion I drew from them is that traditional
ground systems are fine but if you are going to compromise, then a lot
of short radials are better than a few long ones.  I can't remember the
author but there was another article (maybe by one of the two authors I
cited)  that claimed the big exception is for elevated radials.  The
article claimed (as I recall) that 4 elevated radials performed as well
as 32 ground radials.  In either case, it sounds as though there are
several options available to us vertical users that make for a better
than average antenna system

John -- WA1JG

WA1JG@nsradio.org