TenTec

Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 09:06:33 +0000
James,

I don't know who Mr. Gordo is, but those comments directly contradict
the ARRL Antenna Book and the evidence from EZNEC.

I've posted the EZNEC elevation patterns here:
http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/temp/ground_zones.png

The blue trace is an 80m quarter-wave vertical over poor Sandy soil.
Notice the relatively high optimum take-off angle of around 30 degrees.

The green trace is the same antenna, but with Salt water immediately
below the antenna extending out a quarter-wavelength in all directions.
It's the equivalent of an excellent ground radial system. Notice that
the signal is generally stronger at all elevations, but the shape has
*not* changed. Optimum take-off angle is still around 30 degrees.

Now extend the Salt water out to 1000ft and you get the red trace. We
have now improved the conductivity far out from the antenna where the
elevation pattern is being formed, and we have dramatically changed the
shape of the elevation pattern. Optimum take-off angle is now about 7
degrees.

73,
Steve G3TXQ