TenTec

Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials.
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 22:29:48 +0000
Jerry,

Please don't think I'm trying to be contentious, but your comment
challenged my established view of what "dBi" represents. That led me on
a literature search starting with my (very old) Masters Degree notes,
antenna engineering reference books, and web sites. I can't find any
material where the Isotropic reference power density is defined as
anything other than the transmit power spread over a *complete sphere* -
not a hemisphere - even where the antenna being compared is over real
ground. In other words, consistent with EZNEC.

In some cases the interpretations were explicit - for example "......
compared with the power density of an isotropic radiator in Free Space";
in others it could be inferred from the underlying maths.

That's the interpretation I was taught, and yes it would certainly lead
to a 3dB higher figure than your interpretation.

I'm trying to understand whether your view is commonly held, or rather
something you feel strongly about; if it's a commonly held view perhaps
you could point me to some literature. I presume that someone like IEEE
must have an unambiguous definition?

73,
Steve G3TXQ