TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Aeolian Vibration

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Aeolian Vibration
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 23:19:42 -0600
Power and open phone wires (not used much anymore) sound the loudest
with just a 2 or 3 mph wind. Any stronger wind and the wind noise hides
the sound on the ground. Those wires are generally strung at a fairly
high tension to minimize the need for tall poles. One way of checking
the tension is to strike the line and measure the time it takes that
wave to propagate the span out and back.

No doubt your poly rope was trying to shrink with the cold too and had
plenty of tension.

So you left a twig leaning on the poly to upset that resonance?

73, Jerry, K0CQ

73, Jerry, K0CQ