TenTec

Re: [TenTec] ant

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ant
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:52:21 -0600
In Germany that coil tubing was probably 6 or 8 mm diameter. Practically
1/4 or 5/16" diameter. I just checked a couple banana plugs and jacks. I
get 0.145" as the smallest rigid diameter of the plug and about 0.151"
as the ID of the banana jack which is close to 4mm (0.1575") and
measuring with a dial caliper in that small a hole is subject to error.
I'm sure a vendor of banana jacks like Keystone Electronics will be more
specific about that diameter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_connector says the banana plug and
jack is a German invention and IS 4mm diameter.

Checking two handy vintage meters with drill bit shanks. The B&K DVM
jacks take a 0.159, won't take a 0.161. Must be about 0.160 like some
Pomona jacks I found dimensioned on line. My older Simpson 260 series 5
takes 0.157 snugly, not 0.159 in a jack that's rarely been used.
Fortunately the banana plug has a large range of sizes it will fit, part
of its fundamental design if its a true banana. There have been more
solid plugs that are split four ways that aren't as tolerant of jack
dimensions.

73, Jerry, K0CQ