TenTec

Re: [TenTec] WAS: Omni 6 Logic board failure

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WAS: Omni 6 Logic board failure
From: Jim Lowman <jmlowman@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:40:02 -0800
The advantage of the older, tube-based radios is that they were designed
with discrete components, most of which are available today.
No custom CPUs or ICs.

It's a known fact that, in electronic equipment of good design, the main
area for failure is tubes.
These can be on the expensive side these days but, if not abused, even
finals can last for years.
It may also be beneficial to inspect and possibly replace electrolytic caps.

I'm sticking with my Sherwood R-4C/T-4X and 2B receiver, for old times sake.
Okay, that's what I said about my Omni VI+ before it departed to make
room for an Eagle, which landed yesterday morning.
With all of this talk about logic board failure, maybe not such a bad
idea.  I hope the new owner has many more years of use from it.

73 de Jim - AD6CW