TenTec

[TenTec] Orion with Dying Receiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion with Dying Receiver
From: K8JDC <K8JDC@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 00:05:32 -0500
Okay, well this thing is acting very weird.  I did some more testing
tonight and here's a quick summary.

- The main receiver is 99.999% dead.  It virtually never works now.  The
S-meter is frozen and the audio is either a hissing sound or absent (muted).
- The sub receiver works but only through the headphone jack.  It will
either put out a hiss or nothing (muted) to the speaker but it seems to
be acting fairly normally through the headphone jack.  I have toggled
the Audio menu settings for Left/Right/Speaker to swap things around but
the behavior remains the same.
- The sweep display (which I normally leave off) shows active RF on the
main receiver but the S-meter is frozen and no audio.  The last time the
main receiver actually worked a couple of hours ago, I was adjusting the
RF Gain and the S-meter suddenly froze and the receiver stopped working.
- The sweep display sometimes displays a flashing vertical stripe
pattern across the entire display.  This happens about 20% of the time.
I've never seen this stripe pattern before.

Just thought I would pass some more info along in case any of this
sounds familiar to anybody.

Dave
K8JDC