TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII ATU Saga
From: Jack Mandelman <modelman@ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:26:50 -0500
If various mixing products were getting through the PA, why does the
external tuner work?

I have the same problem that Curt experienced.  The tuner does not
always achieve a good match.  Frequently it would stop tuning when the
SWR is considerably > 2:1.  The O7 believes that a match has been
obtained, when in fact it's far from matched.  My external ATU works
beautifully, and the radio operates nominally on all bands and modes.
With the tuner bypassed, output in tune is 20W; key down CW is 100W.
Neglecting the issue with the ATU the Omni VII operates perfectly.

I'm corresponding with Paul Clinton via email concerning this problem.
If Paul feels that the problem is with the tuner I'll most likely send
it in for servicing, since I don't feel comfortable working with SMT
devices.  If he feels that I should send in the entire rig, I'll
probably remove the tuner and operate it normally as a 588 without
tuner, using external tuners.

Would appreciate any thoughts that others may have.

73,
Jack K1VT