TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Omni VI S-meter

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI S-meter
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 01:11:42 -0600
Chasing the schematics, I find the meter is driven by the S-meter
circuits for SSB and FM through diodes for all positions of the meter
switch. The difference is that its also driven by a op amp on the 9 MHz
Mixer/IF board 81594 with a series cal pot and a diode. There's also a
shunt capacitor. If the cal pot got turned way up it might take over, if
the op amp failed or a board ground failed, or something failed in the
ALC FWD detector circuit to push lots of voltage to the op amp (U1A)
that would drive the meter full scale and beyond all the time. I didn't
chase down the FWD power detector circuit, but I think its also used for
ALC and I recall reports of Tentecs sometimes losing diodes in that
circuit from nearby lightning while connected to an antenna.

73, Jerry, K0CQ