TenTec

Re: [TenTec] century 22 setup driver and pa

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] century 22 setup driver and pa
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:28:05 -0600
Most class C bipolar transistors have no bias at all. Especially VHF FM
and CB "linears." CB linears for AM depended on the carrier for forward
biasing but were dirty besides being outside FCC regulations. Often the
base circuit includes a lower resistance RF choke or coil from base to
emitter or ground. Stage gain for low level signals is zilch until the
rf peaks get up past the silicon junction barrier voltage. While that's
a decent operating point for efficiency, it increases harmonics and key
clicks. It takes away from envelope shaping done at lower levels.

That note in the G3VTT manual version is too neatly done, it doesn't
stand out. I had to read the manual twice to notice it. I can't argue
with the suggested values, have to remember those two stages are drawing
current on receive also according to the schematic. And are the only
stages on the PA board running from the +12 connection to that board. So
the current in the 12 volt connection consists of both collector
circuits plus the bias circuits current.

Typically the bias current for any device trying to be linear works out
to be the current that dissipates rated power with no signal because any
smaller current results in more distortion. Since its CW only,
distortion is less of a problem except when it creates key clicks. Given
the G3VTT information, I'd turn both bias pots to zero voltage, and
disconnect the +12 and reconnect it through my meter. I'd notice the
bias circuits idling current, and I'd increase the driver pot setting to
increase the 12 volt current by 30 ma. Then I'd increase the PA pot
setting to increase the 12 volt current another 140 ma and with my meter
shorted, I'd check for key clicks. The PA will draw 5 amps and a meter
that can read 30ma won't like 5 amps for long.

Or I could measure the receive current since the PA and driver
transistors take current all the time there's 12 volts applied. Turn the
audio gain down to minimize receiver current, turn the two bias pots to
zero volts, note the supply current, turn up the driver pot to increase
that 30 ma (presuming the half amp spec is correct I'd look for a little
less with no receiver audio), then turn up the PA bias to increase it
another 140 ma. And with the meter protected, I'd check for key clicks.

On the other hand, if the RF transistors in the two stages were not
overheating, the power output is close to rating, and there are no
complaints about harmonics or key clicks, if I hadn't replace
transistors in one stage or the other, I'd let them set where they are
and worry about something else.

73, Jerry, K0CQ