TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Corsair II DDS VFO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II DDS VFO
From: Carl Moreschi <n4py2@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 12:21:58 -0400
The counter in the Corsair counts the sum frequency of the PTO and band
crystal.  The IF frequency of 9 mhz is put into the counter as a
starting point.  So if the counter oscillator is right on the mark, the
displayed frequency has to be exactly right.

If you tune in WWV in USB or LSB and get it zero beat, you can then
adjust the frequency counter trimmer so the display shows exactly
10.000.0 and you should be exactly correct on all bands.

This is a different scheme than used in the Omni V and Omni VI and is
really quite good for SSB because it takes into account the band crystal
error.  For CW, the displayed frequency is off 700 hertz because of the
CW offset.  Even this could be corrected by starting the counter at
89993 or 90007 depending on UCW or LCW.  I used to have an Omni A series
B that I added the Tentec external display to.  I added a switch for CW
mode that changed the counter's initial value.  This made the displayed
frequency even in CW right on.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Dr.
Hays, NC 28635