TenTec

Re: [TenTec] noise on Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] noise on Orion II
From: Dean <dean.jeutter@marquette.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:12:49 -0600
I have had the same noise for several years.  The noise bursts'
repetition rate coincides with the sweep frequency setting and noise
disappears when sweep is OFF.  Noise amplitude in the speaker changes
with front panel audio setting.  Noise appearance seems random (once or
twice a month) as I cannot link it with shack temperature, time of day,
phase of the moon, etc. and the noise remains until the O2 is powered
down.  The noise appears only at power up and not during the time the
rig has been ON without noise.  Is it a power supply issue?

I sent the O2 to TenTec a couple years ago to have the noise problem
fixed.  Paul kept it for about one month but said he could not reproduce
the noise.

So I deal with the noise by power cycling the rig - it will disappear
after several power ON/OFF cycles in a row and I worry about damaging
transients when I do that frequently.

Perhaps TenTec has found a fix since I first contacted them.  I believe
it's worth a phone call to them John.

73, Dean
K3GGN
~~~