TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re. [Ten Tec] Grounds and balanced fed verticals
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 23:33:41 +0000
Joel,

With respect, it's not the end of the story - the generator *can't*
always have been delivering all it could to an optimum load if that load
changed with differing line conditions.

Let me take an extreme example to make the point.

Let's say that, when dry and in the clear, the line Zo is 450 Ohms and
the tuner is adjusted so that is effectively out of circuit. That means
the line is matched, and the signal generator sees 50 Ohms and delivers
its maximum power. We make a measurement on the microvoltmeter.

Now we drop the line onto the soil - let's say the Zo of the line halves
to 225 Ohms. We adjust the tuner so that the line remains matched; the
generator then sees a load of 25 Ohms and its output will drop by 0.5dB.
So the change we would measure at the microvoltmeter is 0.5dB plus or
minus any change in line loss. The problem we have is that, unless we
know that new value of Zo, we can't separate out the change due to
source mis-match loss from the change in line loss.

In practice if we simply adjust the tuner for maximum on the
microvoltmeter, all we know for sure is that we have minimised the sum
of the line loss and the source mis-match loss; under those conditions
we don't know that the line is actually matched - in fact it most likely
wont be.

I would concede that if the changes in Zo are small, the generator
mis-match losses may be negligible, but I have no idea what sort of
changes in Zo you experienced; I wonder if you measured them?

73,
Steve G3TXQ