TenTec

Re: [TenTec] extra whining

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] extra whining
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 20:50:49 -0500

On 2/16/2012 3:13 PM, wade staggs wrote:

So, my question is simple, where have all the Elmers gone?*

Greetings !

The guy has probably never asked for, or accepted, advice from
experienced hams, and is probably too lazy to actually read the
available material, inlcuding the exam guides and publications like the
ARRL Operatior's Manual, which explain all these things.

But...  Hey... Please don't despair.   ELMERS LIVE !

I have some really swell Elmers.

SEVERAL of them ... are on this list !

A couple of local Elmers are retired aero-space radio engineers who
invented radio controlled planes for the Air Force, and loads of cool
stuff for NASA over the past 40 years.   Together with what I learn
here, and on a couple of other internet reflectors, I am getting a swell
education... for FREE !

Real Elmers are EVERYWHERE !!!

Don't despair because you encountered a couple of lids...  The world has
always suffered dolts, and always will - but the good guys remain.

In a short period of time, I have gone from merely soldering broken
wires, to building basic radio and gadget kits,  and then to building
more substantial kits, such as the TenTec Model 1254 receiver, which is
not a beginner kit.  Now I am designing my own small circuits, testing
and building, and even contemplating marketing one project that manages
computer headset electret condenser microphones to better match a
radios'  mic input circuit.

I am following good ham tradition and building all my audio and RF
cables.  I  designed and built a two-radio amp-key-line switch box to
isolate and switch the am key lines from multiple radios to my
Centurion.  I restored and re-built several ancient microphones
including a 1947 Shure Unidyne 55  (Elvis Style) microphone and adapted
it for ham use.  I designed and am now building my own SO2R mic - phones
- PTT - Key  switch  (adapted from an old  computer parallel-port A/B
Switch). I build my own speaker cabinets instead of buying them.  I
built all the desk and wall shelving, and the stands holding my station
gear, including a new headset rack for the parts closet (yesterday.)   I
convert plain headphones into headset/microphone combinations.

I build my own antennas  (of which I am particularly proud), and have
built loads of other little switch-adapter boxes for the shack  (and for
my guitar collection.)

Some of these projects are very simple, but others have required
research and design in addition to build work.   But I can now design a
circuit, draw a formal schematic (using software...) and order boards so
others might build similar gadgets.   Not rocket science, but in good
old ham tradition of home brewing stuff.  And I am progressing... some.

And I managed to be voted to the Board of the Statewide linked repeater
system.

So... do not despair... Not only do good old fashioned Elmers remain in
practice, some of us are following the good ham tradition and building
stuff from scratch
and trying hard to contribute something.

Ham radio ...LIVES !