TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the Field

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using an Argosy in the Field
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 22:29:12 -0400
John:

Make a reel-out dipole with a couple of those camper's clothesline reels
or carpenter's chalk line reels. Just remove the string and replace it
with wire. Another good antenna is an end-fed half wave with a short
counterpoise and a simple L-network tuner.  I have run My Scout portable
on a 7 amp hour battery and the Scout running at 30W output. If you run
the Argosy at the 10W level, the battery will last maybe 2 or 3 hours
between charges. 7 amp hour batteries are plentiful. You could hook up
the battery through  a resistor to the cigarette lighter plug and use
the car battery to charge it, while the 7 amp hour battery, isolated by
the resistor, handles the transmitting surge current. Most lighter plugs
are only good for about 10 amps.

                 73,

                 Bob WB2VUF