TenTec

Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RFI Issues
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:22:24 -0700
On 5/22/2012 5:40 AM, Carl Moreschi wrote:
> The most important thing to disconnect when a lightning storm is coming
> is all power from all equipment.

I'm not one of those who believes simply disconnecting antennas and
power is good practice.  The best practice is proper bonding of
EVERYTHING.  Charge will build on any conductor, including antennas,
interior wiring, interconnect cables, and so on.  If those cables are
properly bonded per NEC, there's somewhere for that charge to go, and it
is far more likely to go where we WANT it to go.  If we remove the bonds
between those cables and ground, there's still charge, it will find it's
own path to ground, and it may not be a path we like.  I strongly
suggest studying W8JI's comments on this topic.

It's also critical to NOT use shunt-mode surge suppression (MOVs)
anywhere except at the main power entrance.  MOV surge suppressors on
branch circuits (in equipment, or in power strips, or in other dedicated
suppressor boxes) can CAUSE destructive equipment failure.

73, Jim K9YC