TenTec

[TenTec] Re: Turns Counter for 238?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Turns Counter for 238?
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:04:39 -0500
>One of my hangups with the otherwise fine 238 tuner is that I can't find
>old/previous settings on the inductor.  There's no counter. ....
>
>Eric W3DQ
>Washington, DC

Eric,

It does not help you with your 238, but I heard that Ten Tec got rid of the
slide rule dial in the new 238A tuner to improve the repeatability of the
inductor setting and to eliminate mechanical problems associated with the
dial itself.

The new tuner has replaced the slide rule dial with a calibrated
vernier-type dial/knob for the inductor -- there is a nice gear-reduction
unit between the inductor's knob and the inductor itself.  I bought a 238A
last fall.  I have found the vernier dial to be very accurate and I can
easily make repeatable tuner settings as I change bands and antennas.

Nat Davis
N4EL