TenTec

Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter

To: rmcgraw@blomand.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Older Jupiter
From: John <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:17:47 -0500
As an owner of a Jupiter, I can say that the DSP works well. However, it does represent 7-8 year old technology. I personally would suggest that if you want to see how well DSP implementation now works, that the earlier suggestion that you try an Eagle for shipping costs, as the easiest way to test and most representative way to go.

John / WA1JG

I view the DSP technology used in the Jupiter is quite different than the
DSP technology used in the currrent Omni VII or the Eagle radios.  Buying
a used Juipter will most likely not be represenative of the DSP
implementation as used today.

I did consider Ten-Tec 30 day trial offer.

But for me, I am not so sure about DSP based radios. From my limited
exposure to them I have found the sound to be thin, and digital, with
grating band noise, and weird artifacts. Almost all of them have
receiver AGC distortion on very short, strong noise pulses, and ALC
overshoot issues on transmit.

Now, I haven't heard a Ten-Tec DSP based radio in person, much less used
one for an extended period of time. I have always had a soft spot for
Ten-Tec and owned an Argonaut 509 years ago. My memories of that rig are
great except for the annoying AGC pops. I have always wanted to try
other Ten-Tec models but have just never done so. So now is the time.

I am not sure that 30 days will be enough for me to fully determine a
radio's quirks, and all radios have quirks. I also suspect that Ten-Tec
will be replacing the Omni VII in the not too distant future and
therefore a used Omni VII would represent better value to me than a new
one.

I can purchase an older bare bones Jupiter for about a fifth of the
price of a new Omni VII. If I like the Jupiter, I can buy a used Omni
VII for about two-thirds of the price of a new one. I will be able to
resell the Jupiter for close to what I paid for it. So the total loss of
this venture will not be so bad.

If I buy a new Omni VII from Ten-Tec and don't like it and send it back
I am out the shipping charges; A bit less than my Jupiter experiment,
but still not a big difference.  Alternately, if I discover after a few
months of use that I don't like the new Omni VII, then I will take an
much bigger loss selling it used.

So for me, an old Jupiter is a low cost way to try out a Ten-Tec DSP
based radio for a few months or so, and really see what it is like. If I
like it, then move on to a used Omni VII or used Eagle and follow that
with a new "Omni VIII" or whatever they name the Omni VII's successor.

73, Darrell VA7TO

Darrell Bellerive

On 13-01-13 11:04 AM, Richards wrote:

On 1/12/2013 1:17 PM, Darrell Bellerive wrote:

I just want to try out a Ten-Tec
DSP based rig and an older Jupiter is the most cost effective way to
do
this.   If I like the Jupiter, I will most likely upgrade to an Omni
VII
or Eagle. So I am looking to minimize cost.

     With all respect, I disagree - the BEST WAY to
     sample TT technology is to try a New Omni VII
     for 30 days.   If you like it, you keep it.
     If you don't, you don't.   You pay shipping I think,
     but if you try a Jupiter, you buy it, and ship it, and
     then when you buy the Omni VII you pay for it
     and to ship it, and then when you sell the Jupiter
     you pay again to ship it...

     Why not just try a new Omni VII ?

     I bet you will like it, and keep it, and save all that
     buying, selling, shipping, and so forth.

     Good luck whatever you do !!!