TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?

To: tentec@contesting.com, TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:04:15 EDT

In a message dated 7/17/2006 8:51:48 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
wiladdamsham@yahoo.com writes:

Reading  this reflector, those are the questions that comes to my mind.
I am  studying to become a ham, working with a friend of mine who is a Ham,
which  has an Orion and an Orion 2, and it seems that the problems posted on
here  about the Orion, my friend never seems to run across.
His Orion 2 has never  locked up, NR works beautifully, NB works great, AN
notches out all adjacent  carriers, and has a wonderful time on contesting,
QRP,
CW, and vox  modes.
Yet, if one were to believe what is posted on this reflector.
The  Orions haven't worked right since the version 1 software of the original
 Orion.
His Orions are upgraded with the latest software, and all work  flawlessly.
Yes, some values in some settings had to change, but that is to  be expected
given that AGC operates differently depending upon if it is in the  IF chain
or not.
Same can be said for the other "software" type features  that relate to DSP
filtering and sound processing.
But, if I read this  reflector on a daily business, the Orion is so broke
that TenTec will go out  of business in a matter of monthes.
I'm sure glad that I had a chance to  watch and listen to my friend playing
with his Orion(s), otherwise, I wouldn't  be interested in the last American
made rig and would be looking at the  Japs.
To that end, can some one please identify what the specific problems  with
your Orion are? Exactly what HW configuration and software configuration  you
are using. I'm meaning to the point of identifying the microphones, the
amplifiers, tuners, etc.
It seems to me, that upon reading this reflector,  all but 2 or 3 of the
major problems, have almost always turned out to be  someone has his micro
phone
adjusted improperly, or it turned out to be a  short on his own wiring, or
something else of a cockpit error, rather than any  kind of real issue with the
Orion.

I'll be glad when the ARRL publishes  its findings on the Orion 2.
Undoubtedly they will be smart enough to test the  rig, and not just publish
what others
are saying on this reflector. And if  they do read this reflector, they
should test those features that people say  are problems, BEFORE they simply
take
others words for it. After all, lots of  problems seen on here, turned out to
be cockpit error.

OK, flame suit  on.
Wil