TenTec

Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resou

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut VI Lost RX/TX on 160/80 Meters-- Poly Phaser resources
From: Reed <w4jz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 01:54:07 -0500
Billy, at my other QTH I had all the gear bonded. I had two 8 foot ground rods, one for ham gear & other one for a vertical. All this bonded back to the ground rod at the meter base. Guess what, took a hit & it followed that ground wire right to the back of 2 pieces of equipment. Luckily, at the time, I was working on rig & it was not connected to anything. It did zap my power supply that was unplugged from the AC & did some damage to an old Dentron Amp that was plugged into the AC, but not on. Coax was disconnected. If it had been a direct hit I doubt I would be here at this time.

No, I haven't been hit here hard by lightning that got inside. It all has stayed outside. Argonaut went out while listening to 75 meters, clear day, but 40 through 10 meters was fine. This was a failed component, if it had been hit by static it would have taken out the receive section. Low pass filter board that uses SMD to switch bands was the component that went out. I just added a Alpha Delta surge protector because I thought static electricity might have been the problem, but after studying the schematic & talking to several techs there is no way static could have done this. Just a switching component, relay in a 100 watt rigs, that failed. But having the Alpha Delta surge protection isn't a bad thing in the future.

I don't have the large antenna farm like you do. No room! I only have one coax, Belden RG-213, going to a electronic antenna switch outside. I don't use verticals anymore, because I get hit every year with them. Live on a very high hill. No matter how well grounded they are & how well grounded the antenna switch is, I still have to take it apart and replace several diodes. I don't care for DX anymore so no loss losing the vertical. it is just used now to see which way wind is blowing.

So one beam & 135 foot OCF dipole is all antennas I have out side. All coax is buried up to switch & out to antennas.

And yes, if I'm not using rig all is disconnected! My station is in middle of house with coax under ground except portion that comes up from underneath of house. Meter base is on one side of house and antennas on other side, far end of property. No way would I want a bonded ground going to all this back to the meter base ground rod. If lightning hits the electrical line on pole outside, which has happened blowing transformer, then going to ground, guess what.. it would be coming right into the shack & if I was touching rig I could be killed. Sorry, I can't see bonding back to meter base ground rod for lightning protection. I did lose some stereo gear because of this, but that was only thing plugged in at time. Now I have APC UPS on all electronic equipment in house including my wife's Bernina sewing machine.

Bob Heil had a very good discussion on this on Ham Nation sometime back in winter or sometime last year. He doesn't ground his station either for the same reason. Electrical it makes sense, but that is what the ground wire is for in your AC outlet.

I understand your reason to bond everything, but I also understand my reason not too. I've seen what direct hits can do & being on this high hill I don't want a strong path to the inside of my house either through lightning hitting power line or antenna.

73,
Reed  W4JZ