TenTec

[TenTec] Orion II Filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II Filters
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:47:27 -0400
K5SF:
 > They are incompatible.
 >
 > Orion II optional filters are at a different center frequency.

         Are you sure about that?  I thought Ten-Tec decided
to use 9.001500 as the common IF for all filters, unlike
Orion which uses 9.001500 for 1000 and up slots and 9.000750
for the 500 and 250.  I can't think of a reason why TT would
go to a completely new IF frequency.  I believe the real
incompatibility issue is that the 200X series filters use
a different pinout.

         I'm still hopeful TT will offer a daughter card to
adapt new filters for the old Orion slots (e.g. you could
have 1000, 500 and 250 all in a carrier which would plug
into Orion's 1000 slot).  With some minor wiring and logic (?)
changes, it should be possible for the old firmware to select
one of the three just as if they were in the old slots.  This
would be a really neat way for Orion users to access the only
analog improvement in Orion II (i.e. the model 2002 300 Hz
4-pole filter).

         Something to ask TT about this weekend.  BTW, I'll have a
few things left from N4SU's estate sale including a nice 2510B
Satellite Converter that was in use at the time of Dave's death.
I'll also have some Beverage kits made up (transformer and non-
inductive termination resistor) which will complement my talk
at SEDCO on Saturday.  See ya'll there!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV